A2. About Me
The work place equivalent of a
Don't worry, there's not a selfie or snapchat filter in sight!
... a legally-deaf, Irish Scot, in his mid-40s.
I've recently given up my digital-nomad lifestyle to settle in Edinburgh with three kids and a doggo; and I've never been happier.
For over 25 years, I've been helping organisations deliver amazing digital products and services. Originally a web developer, I've progressed through various levels of management since the Millenium, before settling into my current role for the last decade, as an Agile Coach & Digital Transformation consultant.
In that time, I've been lucky to work directly with the likes of: Microsoft, Google, Accenture, McKinsey, Salesforce, Adobe, Cisco, BP, and the BBC... none of whom have been enough to stop my Mum asking when I'm "going to get a real job?”.
Maybe the next contract, eh?
I love to:
- Support Celtic FC
- Dance & DJ to House music
- Binge a boxset
- Restore retro hardware
- Take long walks with Bo
- Hand-code accessible HTML
- Get 'Ahead of the Curve'
- Try new single malts
- Watch professional wrestling
I'm working on:
- 👨💻 Understanding Web3 & DOA
- 📅 PTPM studio
- 🥗 Losing the lockdown weight - still
- 🎧 Re-listening to Jim Rohn
- 🧠 Therapy
- 👨🚀 Getting to space
I am availible for work from May 2023.
I've no no conferences appearances planned through 2023.
I've been lucky to work directly with a number of notable firms...
... though apparently not enough to stop my Mum asking when I'm going to get a “real job”!
- Digitas LBI
- Grey Possible
- Amaze Realise
- Scottish Executive
- Tesco Bank
- Standard Life
- Business Stream
- Postcode Lottery
- Standard Life Bank
- Clear Score
And now for the good old
“trumpet blowing” bit.
These achievements are here to keep the recruiters happy.
And my mum - obviously!
- Fulfilled CIO-style role for Chip as it became the UK’s largest crowd-fund Series A (£4m / 7k investors)
- Led Digital Transformation programme for BP, becoming the company’s first Head of Digital, Platforms & Tools
- Delivered e-commerce platform for Lush, increasing mobile sales by 300% in Q1. Providing 1⁄4 of ~$1bn turnover
- Technical consultant with pre-pitch Travelnest, as they became Scotland’s largest seed-raise of £3m
- Engineering lead, responsible for the fifth largest Salesforce estate in the world (top 3 in some criteria)
- Delivered the Digital Transformation strategy for Business Stream's Growth & Retention portfolio, resulting in an increase of market share for Scotland by 21%, with tender win and onboarding of UK’s single largest customer
- Helped Engine work with the UK Government, WHO, and experts around the world to create a real-time global dashboard and communications toolkit; to increase vaccine confidence and bring the end of the pandemic closer.
- Supported Burberry digital in the launch of their first fragrance, Body; while conceptualising the next iteration for it's Art of the Trench niche-social-network.
- Incredibly launched the first interactive "3D news caster" for the Scottish Government
- Implemented transformation of innovative LMS organisation Adeptly's non-linear gaming engine, claiming Bronze in the the 2021 European "Learning Technologies Awards".
Here are all the other achievements I'd be crazy not to mention.
I'm genuinely proud of each of these;
but I'm just as proud of the every day wins.
- Winner of Scottish Enterprise: “Manager of the Year”
- Winner of Microsoft's MSDN "Reserved for Excellence" Award
- IPSE's "New Freelancer of the Year" (finaist)
- YunoJuno "Freelancer Project Manager" of the year (finaist)
- Executive board member for the ‘British Interactive Media Association’
- Board member for ‘Open Source Scotland’
- Associate member of the 'Open Banking Framework Working Group'
Global CMS expert
- Adobe AEM - Customer Advisory Board
- Salesforce - CMS roadmap consultant
- Joomla - Customer Advisory Board
- Wordpress - inaugural International Summit panellist
- Drupal - Association Board Nominee
- Multiple appearances on national TV news syndication as technical expert
- Published articles in influential Trade Magazines Create & NetMag
- Invited speaker at conferences in 25 countries, on 4 continents, to well-over tens of thousands of attendees.
- Digital Transformation panelist as part of Tony Robbins' warm-up at Pendulum
- Keynote speaker at Harvard and winner of the conference Lightning Talks competition